So, you are planning to start a band and are out of ideas? Well, you have reached the right place! Whether you are looking for tips on how to start a metal band, how to start a rock band, or how to start a band in college; here you will get ample ideas to start your band right away. So, without wasting any more time, let’s get going!
Simply follow the below-mentioned steps to start your rock band now!
- The first step is to find your bandmates. Depending on the instruments that you want to have in your band, you need to search for a drummer, pianists, guitarist, bassist, and more. Put up bright and big posters everywhere to find your bandmates. Another effective method to find musicians is through social networking sites as it is a powerful communication tool.
- Once you have selected some musicians to join your band, have a few practice sessions, so you can be sure that all of you get along well together. For that, you will need a place to practice. Whether it is a garage or a basement, it doesn’t matter until and unless you can get loud out there.
- Think of a cool band name and ensure that all members of your group are happy with the name. Basically, it should be a combined effort of all to select a name. The name should be unique and not something that has already been taken by another band.
- Write as many songs as you can. The next important step is to get your songs copyrighted so that no one else steals it from you.
- Each one of you should split up your responsibilities so that everyone can have specific work to do. For instance; select someone to be a band leader, rehearsal director, public relations manager, etc. Ensure that you create an agreement amongst yourselves and get it signed by each band member. This will minimize the possibility of having in-fights. Some of the aspects that you can add in the agreement are time allotted for practice, reaching the rehearsal place on time, completing your task on time, and more.
- Managing the finances of the group is of utmost importance. It is better to start contributing for the band right from the beginning so that you have some money kept for unforeseen expenses. Each one of you should contribute a pre-fixed amount of money every month. Whenever something is purchased for the band, the money should be reimbursed.
- Decide on what you will wear for your gigs. Your look should produce similar vibes across the band. This does not mean that you have to wear the same thing. It’s just that all of you should look similar together.
- Record a few gigs so that you have something to show the organizers. Ensure that all of you are absolutely happy with the recording, otherwise make appropriate changes. Try to make a short audio-clip as the organizers won’t have much time to listen to longer ones.
- Once the aforesaid things are in place, it is time for you to start searching for events where you can perform and show your talent. Getting the first event won’t be easy. You can begin by creating a website and advertising on it. Ensure that you mention each detail on the website. You can make use of different social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to promote your website.
- You need to be patient for getting your first gig. As soon as you are selected, start advertising about it. You need to attract many people to your first concert, so put in all efforts to spread the word. Designing posters, creating social networking groups, and spreading message through word of mouth are some ways to attract audience.
Now that you know how to start a band, follow the aforesaid tips and reach your goals! Also, have a look at the stories of three successful bands that have made their name in the world of music. Their story is impressive as well as encouraging and would certainly help you to grow as a band!
Formed in 1979, Demon is an English rock/metal band that has released several hit albums. Their current members comprises of Dave Hill as a vocalist, Ray Walmsley, David Cotterill and Paul Hume as guitarist, Karl Waye on the Keyboards and Neil Ogden as a drummer. Demon had started its journey in Staffordshire, England and didn’t have much trouble getting signed to record a label. Their first label was Clay Records and their first recording was Liar 7, which was a super-duper hit.
As time passed, their band grew considerably as well as faced several difficulties. Their members kept changing and new guitarist and bassist were added to stay afloat. Their third album entitled ‘The Plague’ was not appreciated much by their fans. Just before their fourth album, ‘British Standard Approved’; one of their founders Mal Spooner died of pneumonia.
Their subsequent albums too were not as successful and were criticized by their fans. Dave Hill was left with no option other than closing down their band in the year 1990. Later, he hired several new musicians and released ‘Space Out Monkey’ album in the year 2001. The album received a lot of appreciation and it certainly proved that they were back with a bang! Presently, the band is rocking and continues to bring amazing music for their fans.
An American band, the Avenged Sevenfold released their first album in the year 2001. Since then, they have not looked back! ‘Walking the Fallen’, ‘City of Evil’ and self-titled album ‘Avenged Sevenfold’ gained a lot of popularity across the world. However, in the year 2009 their drummer James was found dead due to consumption of drugs. The group mourned the loss and eventually moved on with a new drummer.
Grateful Dead officially started their music career in the year 1965. The band has produced various albums and performed in more than two thousand concerts. In 1995, their group was dissolved with the death of Jerry Garcia. However, the remaining members of the group came together and released few more albums. In 2003, the band decided to change their name to ‘The Dead’ and their fans are affectionately known as ‘Deadheads’.
As you have read, the famous bands have also gone through lots of ups-and-downs; but that did not stop them from becoming famous. So, go after your dreams and start a band right away!